Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Maybe I'm hard to please

or maybe I'm just right. Amos met with his new therapist yesterday, which unbeknownst to me was a family therapist. Yes, it seems part of his release plan from Laurel Oaks was family Therapy... Well, now call me choosy, but someone could have told me that long ago. Then we'll move on to my next issue. His appointment with the med doctor was scheduled for 245, the therapy, 3pm. We arrived at 230. We sat, and sat, and sat. Finally Dr. McCleod called us back at 330. She asked had he met with Paty yet. Nope I tell her. They finally find Miss Paty and she says to me-
"Your appointment was at 3pm Ms Tharpe"
"Yes, I know"
"It's really important to these sessions that you be on time"
"I've been in the waiting room since 230"
"Oh" she says.
Oh? Are you freaking kidding me? I been here, what have you been doing besides planning how to tell me how horrible I am for being late when in fact I was EARLY!
Now, Onto my next issue.This girl is young, and by young I mean just moved to the area, just began this job, just finished school, no kids kind of young. Tell me if I'm being unreasonable, but dang, for kids like Amos, I'm thinking experience would be a HUGE plus. He's not just another ADHD kid (not knocking that, don't get me wrong). He's ADHD, Bipolar, Borderline Mentally Retarded, has a coordination disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. He's lost 2 brothers, one he never laid eyes on and another that they had not ever been apart since he was 13 months old. He's seen divorce, he's seen me go off my deep end, he's moved around and shuffled so many times until 8 years ago that by 8 months old, he had lived in 17 places. At 18 when I had him I was dumb, at 19 when I left his father, I was still dumb and young about alot of things. This is a kid who hasn't had an easy life without factoring in all the medical problems. I just don't think she's prepared because when she was asking our story, as I explained it, she was like ":Wow, Really? Thats how that happened?" It honestly sounded more like a Big Borther thread on the NSBR at 2peas than a therapy session and I was not pleased at all. We'll see how it goes from here, and by all means, if you have any advice or even if you just think I'm being petty about this Miss Paty lady, tell me! I tried to talk to Trai about it, but he's of the school of thought that she's trained, so she's good enough, regardless of experience or age. I think she's fine for some kids, some families, but a lack of experience is gonna hurt her with us.
Lets see, what else. My mind is wandering more and more into the dark side as Hunter's days approach. Some of you know, some of you are new to me and don't. I have this insane fear of the number 4, irrational I know, but let me break it down to you..
Hunter was my 4th son.
He died after 4 different procedures.
He died at 4 days old.
Tyler was 4 years and 4 months old.
He died in April (the 4th month of the year), on the 8th (divisible by 4).
There are some other 4 things, but right now they defy me.
Now, here's how my crazy mind goes.
Keenan is the 4th child in the house.
He's 4 years and 4 months old.
SO. NOT. COOL.
My mind wanders and it's never good. And K-man wishes I'd stop smothering him at this point...
And that folks, is the end of my ramble for the day!!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Give her a fair chance. She maybe young and inexperienced, but that doesn't mean she can't help you. some times someone "fresh" is just the ticket. She isn't jaded and she'll put 100% effort into it (hopefully). I'm just saying don't write her off yet give her a chance you maybe surprised. It sounds like you got off to a not so good start.

Good luck!