Thursday, December 6, 2007

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad

We'll start with that. It's mom and Dad's 32nd (I don't think it's the 33rd?) anniversary. Mom is snuggly sleeping in there and Dad is fighting the snow in the big truck somewhere up north, mad cause he couldn't be home. Love you both...
And in the spirit of an anniversary, I was doing some thinking last night after something Trai said to me. That poor boy, he's been beat down most of his life, so the simplest remark, like, "I really hate that shirt you're wearing", sets him in a tailspin. Now I'll give you, not all remarks I make are that simple. some are more along the lines of "Why do you have to use that tone with me" (that tone is the alpha dog voice as Savanna calls it that he seems to just naturally talk with, but I sometimes take a tad personal). Anyway, in the spirit of mom and dads anniversary, the fact that maazingly they've come over 30 years together, I've made a decision. I'm going to make an effort to really let the little tiny day to day you're so freaking aggravating me stuff go. Sure, if it's a BIG deal to me, it's worth saying something about. But this little teeny stuff that makes him feel like nothing he does or says is right, it's just not worth the fighting or hurt feelings (even if he is a little overly sensitive sometimes, hell, so am I). It'll be hard, cause control of my mouth is something I've never been good at AT ALL but truthfully, I'm pretty sure this boy is worth it....
Now, onto Sophia's blog challenge question today...
#6: When do you put up your decorations? Tell about your traditions, hopes, plans for decorating?
Normally, I am right on it, and get the decorations out the day after Thanksgiving (there have been years my mother has laid down the law and told me I absolutely could not put them up before Thanksgiving). This year I slacked a little. As far as traditions, since being grown, I've grown quite fond of white trees, with very loud obnoxious decorations, Hot pink ones mainly. I had a tree like that when Amos was like, 3. Then I moved back home with the kids and we didn't put up a seperate tree from mom. Since buying the house from mom and ada though, the year Keenan and Will were born, I bought a 6 foot tall white tree and it's loaded with hot pink, lime green and a bright turquoise kind of blue decorations. I love it, the kids love it, it's playful and fun and non traditional to most, but for us, its great. Trai on the other hand says it's unlike anything he's ever seen or had. He also says that just like me, it's almost too much (Is that good or bad for me?). I agree, it's alot like me, loud and colorful and bright. I like it that way.
Traditions as a child, I remember the little Home Interiors (anyone remember them? They still around?) mice, santa bank and nativity scene. I used to get to come home from my gran Nona's on Christmas eve and add baby jesus to the nativity scene before going to bed on Christmas eve. That was cool. and I miss those damn cute little mice and the Santa bank. Wonder where they got off to? Just a memory like childhood I guess, thats kind of a sad thought...

2 comments:

Jana said...

Oh wow, it is my inlaws wedding anniversary today as well......60 years for them!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks. And nope you are right the 32nd. Love you too. The mice are some where packed up. you know in one of those dozen or so boxes of Christmas decorations we have.